1. Tonsils are STILL the size of golf balls, and although they don’t really hurt any more, they’re certainly not comfortable. Nor am I feeling great generally. All very well having an excuse to slack off on housework but I’m kind of over this. Why must I always get so emphatically sick? Just a basic cold that actually passes would be fine.
2. Enjoyed a four-day weekend (kids had two days off for Auffahrt, and thanks to a miracle of forward planning, so did Armin), but because I was still feeling crap, we didn’t exactly make the most of it. Still, I think four days is about the right length of time for a weekend. Enough time to work (there’s always work, even on a weekend), socialise (or at least let the kids socialise), clean, hang about and still get a proper outing in. That’ll do.
3. Sunday’s outing was to Schloss Lenzburg – which I’d heard was a good place for kids and it’s totally true. In fact I think it’s the best castle I’ve ever visited: the best presented and most enjoyable. It’s not the biggest, doesn’t have the most impressive museum collection or the most authentic displays. But it’s very very accessible. It’s a good size, not too big, and very pleasant to explore. The exhibits include shadow plays and clever video installations to convey a sense of living people using the space. There’s a dragon research room (!) with samples of different kinds of dragon hide to touch, and a huge play area at the top of a tower, with a crafts area as well as dress-up, a toy castle with knights and wizards and a queen as well as just general toys, because hey, little kids will get bored, and how awesome to have a chance to simply hang out and play in a real castle? We absolutely loved it.
4. Finger twinge has basically disappeared, at last – but only AFTER I gave in, picked up the needles and ploughed gamely on. It’s official. I have to knit, for the sake of my health.
5. Finally, a PSA: I’m going to be dialling down my blogging for a while. No more 5 things. This is kind of an odd decision for me, because I keep telling people how much I love my 5 things routine and how it keeps me blogging. And I really love my blog! But for reasons ranging from lack of time to a more introspective mood, and some questioning of what I’m doing this for, I’ve chosen to take a step back. I’m even slowing down my newsletter. You’ll still see me on Twitter and Instagram; and I’ll certainly not be quitting the blog altogether. It’s just going to be a bit quieter for a while. Let’s call it a summer break. Not that I’m promising to resume previous service after the summer, but then again I’m not going to be completely absent, so hey, it balances out? …or something.